Skip to main content

Hope Abounds



So, here we are...Day 1000.  A thousand days of living without Paul and a thousand days of adjusting this mantle of widowhood around my shoulders...a thousand days of figuring out that I can never be both mom and dad to my kids and a thousand days of breathing through the pain.

A thousand days of counting...

each teardrop
each painful breath
each serendipitous blessing
each day of survival

And now, it's time to stop counting.

It's not that I've reached Day 1000 and I'm miraculously healed.  I'm not done mourning.  I'm not done remembering.  I'm not done hurting.  I'm not ready to take down my wedding pictures and slap my bio up on dating sites.

I've spent the last 1000 days learning to live without Paul.  Some days I've done really great with that.  Other days...well, they were disasters.  There were a lot of those days.

I am making the choice to step into the future God has planned for me.  I don't think I have to explain that it's not the future I had planned or wanted.  But I have a choice.  I can spend the rest of my life tearfully exclaiming, “This isn't how it was supposed to be!"  And I'd be right.  I could also spend the rest of my days waiting...waiting to be happy again...waiting for the kids to grow and get a little easier...waiting for a new husband...waiting for the loneliness to be more bearable.

A wise friend commented to me recently that we have to realize that where we are now is the life we're supposed to be living.  We can't waste our days waiting for what may never come.  Where we are now is where God wants us.  This is our life!

And so, I'm starting a new blog at this site.  My Mothering Men to be/Marriage/Misc.... site was started 7 years ago when my life was a whole lot different.  It was a great place to record the happenings of family life and a place for me to moan about my construction zone of a house and the craziness of having four sons.  After Paul died it became a cathartic place of refuge for me, where I could process the devastating impact that his loss created. 

A lot has changed.  Of course, I'm no longer married.  One child is grown and stepping into a beautiful future.  I have daughters now.  I'm only homeschooling one child and that's kind of a half-hearted effort at best anymore.  A lot can happen in 7 years!  So, this new site's title reflects that change.  It will still be a lot of what my old site was - a place to vent and reflect about life and share the cute and funny things the kids say.  Like before, I really couldn't care less who reads or doesn't read.  I keep this blog for me.  It saves me from having to write multiple emails or (horrors) having to make  phone calls and actually talk to people!  I'm not here to serve up devotionals. I don’t have enough wisdom for that.   I'm not here to promote myself or my writing.  I'm just here to write.

About whatever I want.

Despite my design of having it simply be a place to record the minutia of my life, I actually do have a purpose, though.  It's a ribbon  that I hope runs through all my writings and every conversation that anyone ever has with me.

See the picture up there?  Feb. 20th would have been my wedding anniversary.  So that I don't mope around feeling sorry for myself all day, I've turned that date into a celebration of family and the kids and I do something extra special on that day every year.  I try to do something special for myself, too.  This year, it was to order this ring.  "Hope" has been a word that I have clung to since the early days after Paul's death.

Hope

for better days
for some meaning in this agony
for survival
of knowing that our separation is temporary
of being seen by God in the midst of the pain that blinds me

That's my purpose for writing and what I hope others see when they are with me. 

Life is hard, the pieces collapse in on us, and all we know can be turned to dust in the blink of an eye. but God...

God tenderly ministers to us in our hurt.  He holds us.  He gives us the strength to slowly wipe the dust from our eyes and to painfully push through the rubble of life that is lays all around us.  One day we see a glimmer of light ahead and we know that we were never alone. Not once.  We cling to the One Who sustains and with the clinging and the climbing and the reaching we find that blessed hope.

The first year or so after Paul died I found a lot of comfort in music and songs written for the hurting heart.  I stumbled across another one recently. It’s sung by Danny Gokey, who experienced the death of his wife a number of years ago.  The song has a beautiful melody, but it’s the lyrics that touch me most.  They speak to that one word that means so much to me right now – hope.

Here's the link so you can hear this beautiful song yourself: Listen

You're shattered
Like you've never been before
The life you knew
In a thousand pieces on the floor

And words fall short in times like these
When this world drives you to your knees
You think you're never gonna get back
To the you that used to be

Chorus: Tell your heart to beat again
Close your eyes and breathe it in
Let the shadows fall away
Step into the light of grace
Yesterday's a closing door
You don't live there anymore
Say goodbye to where you've been
And tell your heart to beat again

Beginning
Just let that word wash over you
It's alright now

Love's healing hands have pulled you through
So get back up, take step one
Leave the darkness, feel the sun
Cause your story's far from over
And your journey's just begun

Tell your heart to beat again
Close your eyes and breathe it in
Let the shadows fall away
Step into the light of grace
Yesterday's a closing door
You don't live there anymore
Say goodbye to where you've been
And tell your heart to beat again

Let every heartbreak
And every scar
Be a picture that reminds you
Who has carried you this far

'Cause love sees farther than you ever could
In this moment heaven's working
Everything for your good

Tell your heart to beat again
Close your eyes and breathe it in
Let the shadows fall away
Step into the light of grace
Yesterday's a closing door
You don't live there anymore
Say goodbye to where you've been
And tell your heart to beat again
Your heart to beat again
Beat again

Oh, so tell your heart to beat again


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Super (busy) Sub, Golf on the Brain, and the Amazingly Slow Maturation Rate of Middle School Girls

  Friday It’s a noisy day in middle school math today.   I’ve had three block periods (1.5 hrs long each) and the teacher left instructions for the kids to play board games.   Yeah…that interest waned after about 17 min.   It’s been noisy.   But I only have 15 min. until my prep block, which means free time for the sub (unless the office calls and asks me to fill in for another teacher elsewhere during that time).   I’ve already read several chapters of my current kindle book, did some more reading/highlighting in my “serious” book (currently, Because He Loves Me by Elyse M. Fitzpatrick – a great study on the relevance of the gospel to everyday life), did my devos, solved the daily Wordle puzzle and did several other word games.   I deleted 200,000 emails off my phone – maybe this is why the app keeps crashing?   I ate lunch.   I looked up a year’s worth of phone data usage per Will’s request.   I shushed classes multiple times and closed down games that got way too loud.   I scolde

As Bad as it Gets (not really -it can get a whole lot worse)

  Tuesday It feels too soon to be working on another blog post but the past couple of weeks have seemed kind of eventful and I’ve got a 4 day subbing assignment this week, so here we are. It’s better than having to do an abbreviated version like last time, anyway! I could have worked 5 days this week, but I had to take Ben to the dr yesterday as a follow-up to when he saw him after his hospitalization last month.   We finally have a neurology appointment here in Des Moines for Dec. 26 th .   If that had not come through, then we would be heading to Omaha to see the neurologists there.   Ben’s dr did warn me yesterday, though, that some of the neurologists at Mercy are real jerks.   He said if I run into that to let him know and he’ll keep the Omaha referral open. Hopefully, I get a nice one.   I would prefer to not have to drive across the state. Subbing has been a little slow lately.   That always worries me, as much as I am thankful for the days at home.   I have to remind myse

Faithful

  Monday (but not today - last week) It’s Monday morning.   I’m waiting for the internet guy to come.   Even if I get done with this entry, I couldn’t post it because I haven’t had internet since Saturday! However, I’m wondering if the guy is going to be able to actually do anything.   This is supposed to be a follow-up to his visit last week because we have had our internet dropping for about 6 weeks.   He said we are too far away from the tower.   But this hasn’t been a problem until now – so, really?   Anyway, he’s supposed to come today, but then we lost all our internet yesterday morning.   Calls to the provider tell us that there is a “widespread power outage in your area” and they are “working on it as quickly as possible.”   So, if this tech comes, is he even going to be able to do anything with a regional outage?   It wouldn’t be a huge problem because I have data for my phone, but David has a big assignment that needs to be submitted tonight.   He has to leave to run up to